TREND REPORT: SPRING 2021
Updated: Apr 2
The tulips and daffodils are peaking their heads up as the days get longer and
the temperature begins to rise. Early Spring is arriving and at this time,
we present the upcoming colors and trends for Spring and Summer 2021.
Designers around the world have tweaked and refurbished classic looks from the 70’s and 80’s into ‘nouveau’ statements for the upcoming season. What are we going to see in apparel?
1. Sensibility – New refinement of classic ideas with easy androgyny in tailoring separates are re-engineered as waists on pants and skirts have risen, blouses have become important along with blazers and jackets defining the look of empowerment. The separates create a ‘pulled together’ look for workdays and weekends. Core colors of camel, grey and navy gain some punch with sunny yellow and bright green.
2. Fresh & Clean – Juicy colors in cotton and silk and reimagined easy to wear silhouettes. Look for lemon and lime, bright oranges and pinks along with raspberry and turquoise to be evident. White accessories will be key to capture
the look of summer.
3. Exotic –Flowers and jungle Motifs will continue for summer with the addition of zebra and giraffe prints. The look of ‘handcrafted’ will dominate this important warm weather look.
4. Denim – Denim tops and bottoms are reworked in new washed out finishes and distressed finishes such as stonewashing and tie dying. This created the backdrop for 70’s inspired ‘hippy’ looks that point to DIY concepts and hand-crafted festival looks.
5. Occasion Dressing – Floral prints emerge as a major story for dresses and gowns, so lush summery hues will be important. Greens will be evident in part by ‘J’Lo’s’ jungle print. Also watch for luminous pearl like finishes and the continuation of glitter and shine. Tones of Blue and satins, chiffons and georgette look fresh.
Top Handbag Trends
• The shopper totes
• Elongated shapes
• Status hardware
• Shadow bag and crossbody bag
• Softer constructions
Top Belt Trends
• Chains and chain elements
• Wide waist belts
• Status buckle
• Interlock closures
• Novelty buckles
• Croco embosses and snake prints
Top Evening Trends
• Continuation of ruffles and bows
• Luminous and pearlized effects
• Colors of the garden dominate
• Frames and soft bodies emerge
• Turquoise, baby blue and greens
• Fuchsia, yellows and red